Learning how to wrap gifts with fabric will not only help to eliminate Sellotape, single use wrapping paper and plastic ribbons from your home (and, more importantly, from landfill), it will also add a unique, personalised touch to your presents.
What you need:
- A selection of fabric squares, in a range of sizes.
- You can use old scarves collected from markets or charity shops.
- Lay the fabric flat, with a corner pointing towards you, and place your gift in the middle.
- Hold the closest corner to you in one hand and the corner opposite in the other hand and bring them together above the gift.
- Tie them into a double knot, securing the gift in place. Neaten the fabric.
- Take theleft-handcorner, hold it up and twist the fabric. Repeat with the right-hand corner.
- Bring the twisted ends together and double knot at the top to create a handle.
- Lay the fabric flat, with a corner pointing towards you.
- Fold the right and left corners into the middle and place your gift on top of the joining middle point.
- Concertina the right and left edges and, with one gathering in each hand, bring them over the gift.
- While holding the concertina in one hand, use the other hand to twist the remaining corners one-by-one and tie them around the gathering to secure.
- Lay the fabric flat, with a corner pointing towards you, and place your box in the middle.
- Fold the corner closest to you over the box.
- Fold the corner opposite you over the box and fold the edge to make it neat.
- Tuck and gather the remaining material on each end and, with one end in each hand, bring them over the top of the box and tie.
- Make a neat bow on top of the box.
- Lay the fabric flat, with a corner pointing towards you, and place your bottle on the corner closest to you.
- Roll the bottle into the fabric half-way, then fold the right edge over the bottom of the bottle to make it neat.
- Roll the bottle into the rest of the material then stand it up.
- Twist the remaining material at the top of the bottle and tie it around the bottle neck tosecure
DOUBLE BOTTLE KNOT
- Lay the fabric flat, with a corner pointing towards you, and place your two bottles on the corner closest to you, leaving an inch gap between them.
- Roll both bottles into the fabric, keeping them straight, all the way to the top of the material.
- Stand both bottles up and use the remaining material to tie and secure.
If fabric wrap isn't your thing, make sure you buy recycled wrapping paper and encourage the gift recipient to open it carefully so it can be reused.